Monday, August 17, 2009

Today's Adventure: Sleep!

Okay, four months is starting to suck a little less, because now The Kid is four and a half months old. She has figured out how to roll over from her back to her tummy, and this was making her angry. She hasn't quite figured out how to go from tummy to back consistently.

The first few days of last week were really hard. She was teething, learning to roll, not eating very much, not napping at all. You would think all this would exhaust a young child, but she would wake up every few hours at night, roll onto her tummy, then get mad and scream. Poor The Huz, he was getting no sleep, going into work with headaches and, on top of that, he had a huge pitch to give that week.Then on Wednesday night, she finally went to sleep for the night at 10:30 (We start our bedtime routine around 7:30, so you can see what a mess four months has been!). I was totally prepared to just feed her whenever she woke up (instead of trying to soothe her back to sleep), because it seemed to be the only way to get her to go back to sleep. She didn't make a peep all night! I woke up at 7:30am, and I was like, "Thank you, thank you, thank you for a full night's sleep! I got up and peeked in on her, and I could see she was on her tummy. My heart stopped a little - I was afraid she'd suffocated or something and that was why she never woke up in the middle of the night.Turns out she just finally figured out how to make herself comfy. I touched her face to see if she was breathing, and that woke her up (Darn, I had been hoping to catch just a leetle more sleep). Since then I've been alternating putting her down on her back and her belly. I'm also experimenting with a warm towel. The Huz puts a hand towel in the dryer when I start to feed her, and then he puts the warm towel in her crib when I'm ready to put her down. It's a very tricksy maneuver to keep her from waking up during the transfer, and it seems the warm towel helps lessen the shock of going from my warm body to a cold crib.

In a few days, it will be one year since it was 100% confirmed that I was pregnant, the anniversary of my 9 week sonogram. I'm going to try to write out the story of how I found out I was pregnant to commemorate.

2 comments:

Hilarina said...

:D

Danna said...

She is such a doll, I am glad to hear it is a little better! Have you tried Boiron homeopathic teething medicine, it is heaven sent!!! :) http://www.amazon.com/Boiron-Homeopathic-Medicine-Teething-Single-Use/dp/B000FKJUBK

But I get it at Whole Foods or the health food store near by.