Monday, June 1, 2009

Today's Adventure: Return of the Knitter

I haven't written anything about knitting in a long time - mostly because I haven't been doing any. I had all this free time on my hands when I wasn't working and I did not use it to do any knitting until the end of my pregnancy. I knit up a burp rag in Sugar'n Cream, and I made a tiny pair of socks for The Kid. I misplaced the socks right after I knit them and didn't find them until a week ago - of course her feet are already too big for them.
So, I'm jumping back onto my knitting bandwagon and knitting up a storm. For my first Mother's Day :) The Huz sent me to one of the LYS nearby (that's Local Yarn Store, for those who don't know - yes, knitting has lingo) and buy whatever I wanted. I bought three skeins of Malabrigo in the Cinnabar colorway. This is a yarn that everyone on Ravelry (an online knitting and crocheting community) just raves about, so I've been wanting to try it out. I must agree, it is a yummy yarn, so I went back a few days later to buy the remaining skeins, in order to make a sweater. Malabrigo is dyed in small batches of like 6-10 skeins, and someone else had bought one or two, so there were only two left. I'm going to make a Wicked sweater, probably with short sleeves since I think I will just skate by with the exact right amount of yarn. I have swatched and cast on and I am on Row 2!

My mom also took me yarn shopping for Mother's Day at her LYS (not that she knits, but it's a yarn store that is local to her, not me). They were even having a Mother's Day sale, so I got four skeins of Elsebeth Lavold Angora in an orangey colorway, six skeins of Berocco Comfort in a variegated pink, and five balls of Monet in a mottled black and pink. The Monet will become a shrug for my mom (happy Mother's Day, you just bought your own present!), the Comfort will be a shrug for me, and the Angora is for me to pet! ;) I haven't yet decided what the Angora is for.

I also took myself yarn shopping for Mother's Day, and picked up some Schaefer Sandra in purple, pink and blue, and a small skein of Ella Rae Bamboo Silk in a pretty turquoise. The Schaefer will also be a shrug/sweater like this one (Ravelry link) I made for Mom, and the Bamboo Silk will become a cowl in some lace pattern I haven't picked yet. I'm thinking fir cone, but maybe something else. I have to wait until the 17" cable comes back from the Denise kit people - the cable broke on another project, so I had to send it back to the manufacturer to replace it - yay, lifetime warranty! I bought the new Addi Click interchangeables, too, and I'm using them on my Malabrigo Wicked - I'll let you know how I like them, but so far, I'm annoyed that the kit doesn't have a 16" cable - I can't start my cowl! :( Okay, I could go buy another circular needle, but that just seems a bit silly when I have two interchangeable kits.

And since Michaels is re-doing their yarn department, I scored three skeins of Lion Brand Cashmere for $.99 a piece, and I picked up a few skeins of their new Impeccable yarn in the Embers and Garden colorways.

As for stash knitting, I made this cute little sweater (Rav link) for a friend's baby, using Sugar'n Cream in Rose and Cream. I think I'll make one for The Kid, too.

The Knitter is back, and she's ready for action! I just have to find the time to do all of this knitting...

(ETA: The tiny socks are made with Koigu KPPPM - thanks for reminding me, Emily!)

4 comments:

Emily said...

Love the socks. Too bad they don't fit her anymore. What yarn did you use?

Lady P said...

Ah, I forgot to put that in! The socks are made in Koigu KPPPM. I picked it up for me, but never made anything from it. I don't have the tag, so I don't remember the colorway. I guess it's just as well they don't fit - I probably would have ruined them by accidentally putting them in the washer and dryer with all the rest of her clothes!

Maggie Harkov said...

SOOOO talented! Those socks and that little sweater kill me! Amazing, Lady P! Love & hugs!

Danna said...

Oh Amanda, I am so envious of your talent! I droop over knitted baby things on etsy and SouleMama's blog. Dan was going to give me lessons at our local yarn store but it closed all of a sudden. So sad!
Hope you'll post more of your things so I can then drool here too! :)
Even better pictures of your knitted yummys on that sweet babe! :)