Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Today's Adventure: The Scale!

Between my first and second OB/GYN appointments, I gained two pounds. I thought, "Hey that's not so bad - it's probably just water weight anyway." During the month that followed I proceeded to eat whatever I wanted. I was really craving meat, so The Huz and I ate at In 'N Out Burger up to three times a week! Burgers, fries and cokes - yummy! So when I went in for my third appointment, in October, I was expecting to have gained a bit more than two pounds. When I got on the scale, I was ready to cringe. . . but I weighed exactly the same as last time! I was stoked!

However, I knew I couldn't continue my burger-eating ways. We have been trying to eat at home more often, to save money and to eat more healthfully. My meat craving became less intense, so that helped us cut back to eating burgers only once a week. The baby also decided that she liked fresh fruit a lot, especially apples. I was feeling good about my food choices! When the time came around for my fourth appointment, I had no qualms about the scale. I hopped right on up and even let the nurse balance the scale instead of doing it myself. "Looks like you've gained. . . eight pounds," she said.

WHAT!?!?!?!

Lemme get this straight - I eat crap for a month and don't gain anything. I eat better for a month and gain eight pounds?!

In my heart of hearts, I know this is no big deal at all. I know I'm growing a person - I'm going to gain weight, it happens. But those eight pounds just came out of nowhere! I didn't even see them; they snuck up on me!

In the past three weeks it has become much more physically noticeable that I am "with child." I had bought some t-shirts a while ago that were two sizes too big - now they are fitting just perfectly, but it won't be long before I outgrow them. I have a concert to sing in at the end of the month, and I need to buy a new concert dress.

Everything that used to be in my stomach area before the kid took over is moving upward, so it looks like I'm carrying high, but the baby is actually pretty low. It's all my internal organs that are making me look pregnant! I was at a party last night and a friend put his hand on the upper part of my tummy as if to feel the baby - I didn't have the heart to tell him he was really just touching my stomach, diaphragm, and small intestines!

2 comments:

Krista said...

How exciting that you are pregnant too! I am still in those begining stages, and i have lost 6 pounds. The dr. doesn't know that though...I am hoping that food starts to be appealing again soon!

ps- I am also really loving Apples.

mckennaspaulding said...

Congratulations on your girl. I have a five-year-old daughter and it's the most wonderful thing that has ever happened to me -- I love being a mother.

I got to your blog by googling "throat cancer". My best friend's husband has just been diagnosed. They will probably be going to UCLA for treatment. Can you provide any information about your grandfather's experience at UCLA including doctors and treatment.

I hope your grandfather is doing well.

Thank you.
McKenna Spaulding